A project by Hayatsu Architects and students from Central Saint Martins commemorates John Ruskin’s life in the Lake District
Led by Takeshi Hayatsu of Hayatsu Architects and Spatial Practices staff Gregory Ross and Carlotta Novella, MArch students at Central Saint Martins have designed and made two timber structures – an information kiosk and a community bread oven – that now stand at the entrance to the Ruskin Museum in the Lake District. The museum tells the story of Coniston, but was founded as a memorial to one of the area’s best-known residents, John Ruskin.
In 1874 Ruskin got his Oxford students road-building to promote notions of community service and satisfaction through labour, and the CSM students’ structures form part of a series of projects called ‘The Road’, creating new amenities to connect the community with the museum and the heritage landscape of the Coppermines valley beyond.
The community bread oven will be used by local people for events at the Coniston Institute. It has a charred timber roof made in collaboration with community groups.
The information kiosk stands in front of the museum. It is clad in copper shingles stamped with images that tell the story of the nearby Coniston copper mines.
The project was supported by Grizedale Arts, and larch timber was donated by James Jones & Son. The next chapter in the Road project will begin in 2018.